The first lady of the Reliance group was voted in as an individual member in Rio on Thursday polling 92.2% valid votes among eight candidates.
What does being an individual member entail?
The Olympic website states:
“The IOC members, natural persons, are representatives of the IOC in their respective countries, and not their country’s delegate within the IOC. As stated in the Olympic Charter: ‘Members of the IOC represent and promote the interests of the IOC and of the Olympic Movement in their countries and in the organisations of the Olympic Movement in which they serve.’”
So it’s not really a victory for the nation per se—if one wants to nitpick—but actually a shrewd move both by Nita Ambani and the Olympic Committee.
Evidently the committee considers India to be an important cog in its scheme of matters in years to come.
And Nita Ambani gains some legitimacy in the eyes of her numerous detractors and critics who consider her a privileged interloper in the world of Indian sport—not that she cares.
“I am truly humbled and overwhelmed to be elected by the IOC. This is a recognition of the growing importance of India in the world stage and a recognition for Indian women.
I have always believed in the power of sport to shape our youth. I believe that sports brings together communities, cultures, and generations has the power to unify and unite people. I look forward to spreading the spirit of Olympics and sports across our nation.
I’m working really with multi-sports in India. We want to encourage many other games besides cricket in India like football and basketball and let children be exposed to all kinds of games. So I’m looking forward to building a movement in sports for children in India.’’
She is the only current active Indian member in the IOC and the first Indian woman.
The IOC has 90 members, 36 honorary members and 1 honour member.
Honorary members are usually former members.
Dr. Henry Kissinger is the only honour member of the Committee.
- WADA in the crosshairs, as IOC members fume at late response(dailystar.com.lb)
- IOC session supports decision not to ban Russian athletes from Rio(tass.ru)
- Fast Facts and Stats: A Selection of Olympic Research and Reference Resources(infodocket.com)
- IOC pays tribute to Israeli victims of 1972 Munich attack(herald-review.com)
- International Olympic Committee clears all 11 Russian boxers to compete in Rio(onenewspage.us)
- Olympics: IOC chief urges total review of world anti-doping system(channelnewsasia.com)
- IOC members bash world anti-doping body over Russia scandal(wistv.com)
- Russian Boxing Team Cleared To Compete In Rio(rferl.org)