Dwayne Bravo states his case to the West Indies Players Association (WIPA).
What he said:
“We believe we are being hoodwinked and are being treated like little school boys, yet we are being asked perform and play against professionals.”
Current Windies team skipper, Dwayne Bravo, makes no bones about his displeasure with the new Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) whereby Test/ODI/T20 fees have reduced by 75%.
The West Indians are in India to take part in a five match ODI series. The players are considering striking in protest against the agreement signed by WIPA President Wavell Hinds with the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) without player inputs.
In a letter addressed to Hinds on his squad’s behalf, Bravo outlined the disputed items as follows:
1) Our Test/ODI/T20 fees have been decreased by 75%.
2) No compensation for the use of our rights. That has been decreased by 100%.
3) Our ICC fees have been decreased by close to 100%.
He further requested Hinds to question the WICB on the following points:
1) Have the WICB Board members and staff taken a pay cut as we are being asked to do or at all. Our information is that staff have been increased both in numbers and their salaries.
2) Have the WICB declared their million dollar television deal
3) Have the WICB declared how much they are being paid extra for the matches outside of the FTP like this India tour.
4) Have the WICB declared what they are getting from the sale of CPL to Digicel our most lucrative tournament.
5) Have the WICB declared what they are getting from Digicel as the team sponsor.
6) Have they declared their financial arrangements with Governments for the international and regional home series.
What Dwayne Bravo really meant:
“The players draw in the crowds and the WICB profits from their efforts. Why are we being treated like errant schoolboys without any say or input into how West Indian cricket is to be run or administered? Are we clueless or numbskulls or simply freaks who entertain?”
What he definitely didn’t:
“Let’s discuss this over drinks during the first ODI at Kochi on the 8th.”